Manipulating the List (The Immortal Companion Series) by K.B. Lever

Manipulating the List (The Immortal Companion Series)
This is out of my usual reading genre, but I loved the cover and the romance tag too. I was into it by the first chapter. I won’t go on about the plot because it will have to be read to feel it. The main character is Katherine, and she is the only one who can see Jonathan, aka the Collector. When she is only six she witnessed her fatally ill Aunt be lead to heaven by him. It is explained as in a way that is not scary, not dark, but very intriguing. This quote got me to gasp and it was on page #6 “I had no idea that I was the only one who could watch him collect souls, converse with him, or see the final transitions of their souls into the afterlife.”

As the years go on Katherine is really the only friend that Jonathan has and she cares very deeply for him. Every couple of chapters you are brought into a “new” story line about who will be collected. I will tell you each story line is very different and one did scare me, but I am over 40 and sleep with a night light on. I couldn’t put it down! As for Katherine, she is very likable as Jonathan’s best friend. You would think she would not seem well adjusted but she is. When Katherine tries to manipulate the list she finds herself on, she meets Jennifer. This is by far the best story within the book. Jennifer is having Katherine photograph her at her party that was supposed to be her wedding. She found her boyfriend Jeremy Hopewell cheated on her. So Jeremy ‘s girlfriend is Ashley and poor Jen finds out Ashley is pregnant. So she has been dealt a really poor hand, but is optimistic. Here is Katherine’s dilemma: What does she do when she finds Jennifer’s name on the list? At this point, just read and DO NOT put it down.

Very fast paced and what I loved was how Katherine had no fear of The Collector. Their friendship grew for 16 years. It is a game of manipulation and survival. The best best best part was a sneak peak chapter at book 2. Mercy that made me happy!

Get the book here: Amazon

Please visit the author’s web-page

Also, please visit the following pages: Facebook Immortal Companion Series page – Here

Become “friends” with the author on facebook. – here

Some great quotes:

Manipulating the List (The Immortal Companion Series) (K.B. Lever)

– Highlight on Page 6 | Loc. 188-90 |

==========

Manipulating the List (The Immortal Companion Series) (K.B. Lever)

– Highlight on Page 74 | Loc. 1275-77 | Added on Tuesday, January 08, 2013, 08:41 PM

I just couldn’t see it. There was nothing fascinating about what I’d done. No love story, no high intensity robbing, and especially no tough and rugged appearance.

==========

Manipulating the List (The Immortal Companion Series) (K.B. Lever)

– Highlight on Page 118 | Loc. 1962-68 | Added on Tuesday, January 08, 2013, 09:19 PM

“April 28th 1996. The day changed the lives of every Aussie in Australia. No one ever understood the events or what it takes to drive a twenty-eight-year-old man to go out and maliciously murder and injure over fifty people – his friends, family, and townsmen. This man, this Maxwell Cooper, supposedly had been contemplating this plan of attack for years. Not even his family or his live-in girlfriend knew what he had been planning.

==========

– Highlight on Page 123 | Loc. 2046-48 | Added on Tuesday, January 08, 2013, 09:21 PM

I was sitting on the edge of the car seat. I didn’t want my ride to end. It was all so exciting. I had never been one interested in history, but he was so animated and made such a great storyteller it made every word, every step very exciting.

==========

– Highlight on Page 140 | Loc. 2285-87 | Added on Tuesday, January 08, 2013, 09:32 PM

I had three thousand dollars left, after paying for the room, my food, and some casual every day clothes. I still had plenty of money to have a proper send-off. I suddenly had nerves of steel, nerves I had never known before. This was the end, but strangely it felt like the beginning.

==========

– Highlight on Page 172 | Loc. 3110-12 | Added on Tuesday, January 08, 2013, 10:17 PM

While my description leaves a little to be desired, it was nothing less than amazing to get to hold it, examine it, and see it in its natural habitat instead of some attraction at an exhibit.

==========

– Highlight on Page 180 | Loc. 3301-7 | Added on Tuesday, January 08, 2013, 10:22 PM

“Some one-thousand burials took place ‘ere from 1833 to 1877; the majority of them convicts or former convicts. Originally, the convicts were denied the right to have gravestones placed and the only way their graves were to be marked was by the mounds of dirt they were buried under.

==========

– Highlight on Page 182 | Loc. 3392-98 | Added on Tuesday, January 08, 2013, 10:26 PM

His mother wept for days, non-stop, begging him not to go. After all, how could a child of only sixteen with but two weeks of training defend their lands? But Thomas was ready. He stood proud in his new uniform, a size slightly too big, looked his mother in the eye and said ‘no son hath more love for thy mother than me. Dry your eyes before I leave and wish me well on my journey

4 thoughts on “Manipulating the List (The Immortal Companion Series) by K.B. Lever

1. Pingback: Manipulating the List (The Immortal Companion Series) by K.B. Lever « Reading Renee

2. Pingback: Giveaways Old and NEW « Reading Renee